Sunday, September 24, 2006

Crash, boom, bang




My latest exploit was that I rocked with the RHCP. I still rank last year's Pearl Jam concert as my favorite experience, mainly because the RHCP crowd, if you can believe it, was lacking in energy. I stood next to a guy who literally chewed his nails throughout the entire concert. My only guesses are that he was a Mars Volta fan & stuck around becasue he had nothing better to do or was suffereing from some mental illness which flattened his affect. The set list was heavy on the new album, but it is a double disc. The encore consisted of 'Suck my Kiss" & closed with "Give it Away".

Two days later, this is what happened to our car, with my husband behind the wheel. He was cut off by a truck that was later ticketed for making an unsafe left turn. The other driver's vehicle sustained minor damage to the front bumper (and the guy had the nerve to complain about it on the radio on Friday). My husband meanwhile was trapped in a car that was leaking fuel & had to be swiflty removed from the car before it ignited. His right ankle was shattered, requiring surgery--surgery that he had to wait over 24 hours for. He's now home but on crutches for at least 6 weeks. So he's off of work--which he commutes to by said crashed vehicle & has lost the ability to drive. If he hadn't been wearing a seatbelt or driving a vehicle with airbags, he would have either been seriosuly hurt (i.e. coma, spinal injury) or killed, as the door flew open & the airbag prevented him from hitting the windshield.

In a weird turn of events, I was driving about 30 seconds behind him, and although I didn't witness the collison, was on scene with our 2 year old daughter before emergency crews arrived. Needless to say, our daughter, despite her young age seems to have been greatly impacted by seeing the vehicle with her dad trapped inside. Regardless, the whole situation, in a cliched sort of way, reminds us of the fragiltiy of life.

1 Comments:

At 1:29 PM , Blogger MC said...

Ouch!

Whenever I see wrecks like these, I can't help but be reminded of the wreck I was in some five years ago.

I'm still traumatized today, and am very jittery behind the wheel. If I had the choice, I'd choose not to drive.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home