Monday, June 05, 2006

Street Oddity

Have you ever had a weird neighbor? When we lived in our previous house, we had a rental home next door and the parade of oddities, while amusing at times, more often than not required frequent calls to the police (for various reasons). The house on the other side also provided a great deal of entertainment now that I think back--there was the older lady who would peek into our windows, the newly divorcee who mowed the lawn in her short shorts (think cougar here) and the house 3 doors down was a drug lab. Can you understand why we moved?

Thankfully, we moved & the "odd" person on our street doesn't live right next door to us, but she makes her presence known regardless. Aside from calling Bylaw Enforcement for ridiculous reasons, she likes to drive down the alley, park her truck & look into our yard & windows. We probably harm her more than the other way around, given our penchant for being partially undressed a lot this time of year. Being a half glass full sort of person, I am relieved that we don't live right beside her. The house beside her has been up for sale 3 times in the last 18 months & it is due solely to her bizarre antics.

Frankly, living in the area we do, which I affectionately call "Stepford", I'm pretty sure we're more or less among the oddballs of the neighborhood. But you knew that already didn't you? I'm not part of the nightly walking club of Stepford wives, nor do we have housecleaners or gardeners. We're do-it-your-selfers all the way, which means our lawn is usually a little longer than everyone else's because we're busy building fences, weeding etc. Of course, my habit of carving stone on the front lawn or back deck makes me a spectacle at least weekly. I suppose "odd" is a relative term, so we'll see how our new neighbors (estimated date: November 2006 -- yes moving again) will keep us entertained, and vice versa.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home