Friday, May 05, 2006

The Hobbits made me do it...

Well, contrary to what one would expect, I totally missed my one year blog-o-versary. Apparently it was on April 2nd & I didn't even acknowledge it. To be honest, it never occurred to me, until tonight, to even check. I think I will plead parental preoccupation, given the fact that my son's birthday party was that day and the weeks since have been a whirlwind of swimming lessons, t-ball and the like. Time has been consumed in pursuits beyond the computer desk, which really isn't a bad thing is it?

Frankly, I suspect my readership consists of an audience of one; last week's surge in hits are an anomaly due to the triple homicide. That's okay I guess although the whole gawker phenomenon, if it can be called such, is somewhat disturbing. Of course, my sporadic musings on the mundane aspects of my life are not terribly exciting when held in comparison to the sensationalistic aspects of murder in a small town.


I don't know that I set out to accomplish anything specific in starting a blog, other than to write more and basically engage in more adult-oriented activities. I do like to bitch on occasion, but you didn't notice that did you? Anyway, I've been listening to some new cd's that my husband suspiciously purchased for me, for no obvious reason (guilty conscience alert?): Pearl Jam's latest & Jeff Martin's first solo effort. Maybe I'll muster up the energy to post a review. Oh, here's a PJ webcast of a short gig at the Ed Sullivan Theatre to tide you over.

If you're interested, I'm reading Jane Eyre and will also read Wide Sargasso Sea shortly. And if
you're planning on going to The Da Vinci Code, I suggest treading the illustrated hardcover. Speaking of Ian McKellan, who is in TDVC, I'm still laughing at the people who showed up for The Fellowship of the Ring and were pissed off about how it ended. Having had the trilogy read to me as a child (seriously), I am allowed some amusement at others' expense when it comes to the hobbits.

You know, since I've got you here, all captivated and brimming with anticipation (I can dream)
there's something else I'd like to mention. Have you noticed that in a number of commercials, famous actors are now doing voiceovers. I'm sure I heard Lily Taylor in one and be damned if Kiefer Sutherland isn't suddenly a ubiquitous presence on the voiceover scene. I mean there's something odd about Kiefer (Mr. "How's the maggots Michael?") Sutherland shilling allergy meds and cheap cars or whatever. But hey, he makes more doing voiceovers than I do as an artist so I shouldn't really say much. Although I still think for me certain voices should not be used for innocuous products. I mean do vampires, federal agents, creepy med students or psychotic phone callers really make great spokespeople? I guess in Canada being the grandson of the father of medicare cuts you some slack. Actually, just for fun, go rent Crazy Moon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home