Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Ecru, Brute?

Ecru. The color of the bedding we received for Christmas is ecru. Here's the thing: since ecru is really just a fancy way of saying dark beige, does the giver of the gift (which I am grateful for because it is useful and very much needed) imply with the color choice that we are bland people? I mean, beige is, well, vanilla (ha ha). One could argue that ecru matches with anything, because it's a generic sort of shade of, not much, but since it goes with any decor one doesn't have to return the gift.

One could also infer from the color ecru that the giver is secretly (or not so covertly depending on how sharp the receiver is) sending a signal that our lives have become predictable and in turn boring. But I might be reading too much into the color of the lovely flannel sheets and cotton duvet cover. Just a bit, mind you.

It could be the fact that I just returned from life drawing class and a brief discussion of politics. Did you see the debate last night? My gawd, hell in a hand basket is too light a term I swear. Maybe Julius Caesar's time wasn't too bad. Aside from the Ides of March, and I don't think there's an Ides of January. And of course back stabbing is only figurative these days (well for the most part, but depending on who leads the majority after the 23rd we might see a crack down on all those killers out there. Ha ha.).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home