Artists Interpretation
Last week our undraped model queried the point of having a live model in the first place. "Why can't you just draw an apple or something, and it wouldn't cost $35 either.". One of the ladies said, "Don't talk or think, just pose." Rude but to the point.
But it got me thinking. A few other members of our group talked about the greater interest in figurative dawing versus still life, for both artist and audience. Others mentioned the need to be able to draw the figure as a basis for other drawing (proportion etc).
I like the challenge of trying to draw someone, so that the model actually recognizes him/herself in my piece. If you draw an apple, how would anyone know it was the original apple or not? With people, if you exhibit locally at least, chances are someone in the audience (hopefully) will recognize the subject and comment on whether the artist captured the subject accurately. Yes, I could just take a photo, but so could anyone else. Not everyone has the patience to learn to draw a person.
On the other hand, should you care whether you achieved a suitable likeness? Not necessarily, since the goal is also to create a good composition, regardless of whether the subject is accurately depicted. The model could be equivalent to the apple in this case. Does it really matter in the end as long as the model served the purpose--a template for which the artist creates a pleasing piece?
Some artists use the live model session as a springboard for experiementation. I personally have left the head off of a number of models, reducing the person to a pair of hands, a leg, a torso or whatever else I decided to place in the composition. I took away the identity to begin with, since the defining features were removed (I don't draw fingerprints smartass).
In other news, on the same night our pieces from the "Hiway 3 Connections" exhibit were returned. Much to my horror, I discovered the art had been shipped by Greyhound. My frames are pretty scuffed much to my chagrin. I wish I could have gone to pick them up myself.

1 Comments:
Juniper said: Last week our undraped model queried the point of having a live model in the first place. "Why can't you just draw an apple or something, and it wouldn't cost $35 either.".
What perplexes me further, is why would a person subject themselves to posing nude, if they had reservations of people drawing them [nude] in the first place?
It doesn't make sense to me.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home