tangents
I attended the Art Club’s AGM tonight. Someone actually read the entire minutes from last year’s AGM—slowly, painfully, tediously. Sigh—time I will never get back…. A friend has become the new Program Committee chair & somehow I’m supposed to help, in addition to being the Newsletter editor & Membership committee member. I shouldn’t be so nice…
Here’s some shameless self promotion: our life drawing group is participating in a group show at the Trianon Gallery in Lethbridge August 8 – September 18. Check it out—you get to see two pieces by yours truly! The “59 & Counting” show at the Cultural Center Gallery will be dismantled July 2—hurry don’t miss your chance to see a soapstone sculpture wrought by my own hands. I may submit some “stuff” for the Stampede show due to the great free exposure (last week in July). Also there is the Centennial Invitational in the fall that I will have one piece in.
Tangent = I’ve been bumping into people on the internet, sort of. I’m amazed at the number of people with blogs & have been enjoying reading many of them. My cousin started a blog but it’s somewhat bizarre to read—sort of like ee cummings on acid. I have trouble with non sequitur and free verse “stuff”. Maybe I’m just getting lazy in my old age.
Tangent = I wonder what I’ll be when I grow up a lot lately. I toy with various ideas but there are 3 main contenders. I am struggling with this because part of me thinks it may be a bad idea to turn something I currently “do” as a hobby into a “job”, but what better way to make your way in the world than to get paid for pursuing your passion? Or maybe I could combine my current educational & professional background with my passion to create one really very interesting (albeit useless in this city) career. We could always relocate right? Or I could sit here & question myself forever & get nothing done whatsoever. Perhaps I’m having the almost-30 crisis Douglas Coupland has written of. Sigh… Therapist, English instructor (not a 2nd language—literature), artist, or combinations thereof….. stay tuned.

1 Comments:
Juniper:
In my experience, following one's passions is paramount to one's success and happiness. I follow my passions, whether it is music, art, writing, programming, (even drinking!) often at the expense of sleep.
I never want my life to become wake, work, eat and sleep. It seems so cold and sterile.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home