Monday, July 11, 2005

7-11

I know a few people who are celebrating wedding anniversaries today. I guess the "7-11" makes it easier to remember the date. My parents & 3 other couples I know picked today as the "big" day. I always thought 7-11 was kind of a funny date, even though I like number like 11.

Two of my pieces were entered in the Stampede show & I'll drop one more of mine off tomorrow night. My son also wants to put one of his pictures in the art show which is kind of cute. One of his jokes lately is to scrunch up his face & drop one shoulder & say "I'm Picasso", so who knows maybe we are growing another artist in the house. He is left-handed. Even the pediatrician said the lefties are "the really interesting people." The jury is still iut for at elast a decade on that one.

I always have trouble with two things when it comes to my work. First, what should the title be? and second, what is it worth?, even just for insurance purposes. I always feel that the title will evoke too much of my influence & not leave enough room for the viewer to come to his/her own conclusions about the piece. As for assigning value, I feel awkward putting a price tag on: too much & people will wonder who the hell would pay that for that; too little & they'll think I have no confidence in my work. Up until this month, I've always put "not for sale" on my work. Now I think I've accumulated enough experience & knowledge, so I need to "get out there" & have my name in some homes of collectors. We'll have to see if anything sells this motnh.

A bonus is that I've learned to complete my own framing, so that will keep costs down. I know some people who've spent $100-$300 for images smaller than 8x10 to be framed, while I framed a 20x24 & a 16x20 with double matting for $60 total. Let's hope my price range is affordable enough for people to actually consider hanging my "stuff" on their walls.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home