Tuesday, August 02, 2005

When the Music's Over.....

My Pearl Jam tix arrived a few weeks ago & I put them somewhere safe. I don't want to lose them in my house, which is easier than you would think. As I looked at them, I was thinking about all of the concerts I've been to over the years.

Most people have a few "top" bands/artists/singers (whatever) that they enjoy & would happily pay money to attend a concert by said band/artist/singer (whatever). I know I have a list of "must-see'' acts & have been slowly crossing them off of my list, although a few were crossed off due to band breakups, death etc. For me, I find a live show to be the determining factor in a group's ultimate appeal to me. There are aspects of a concert that cannot be replicated on a CD, at home with headphones or stereo blasting. I've been to one band's show more than once just becasue the live experience blew me away (I've also stopped supporting a few groups because their live show was so brutal; and yes I saw them more than nce to account for a bad night or what not).

Music has been a part of my life, and I assume most everyone else is the same, since I was a kid.
The first LP I remember owning was Raffi's "Corner Grocery Store" (which my kids now listen to on CD, everywhere we go ad nauseum). We also had one by a Native guy, David Campbell called 'Pretty Brown" which I have never been able to find again but would love to own (my mom bought it when we lived in the Yukon on vinyl). My parents had extensive Lp collections when I was growing up, so I was exposed to a great deal of music from, well, in utero really. My dad was a drummer for a band (picture a typical guy from the 70's, long hair, full beard, beads etc) but oddly enough also played the bagpipes (seriosuly, I'm Scottish). He had a buddy with a recording studio in his basement. I took music lessons from a young age till high school as well (violin if you really ant to know, and no I don't play Charlie Daniels's version of "Devil Went Down to Georgia" thank you very much I was a Brandenburg concerto kind of player).

My point, if I really had to be heading to one, was that we take music, or musicians for granted. It is bloody hard work to become a professional musician, between the practicing, effort & time invested to the expense of self-marketing & travel. Most people have key moments in their lives and I'll bet that almost 99% of those moments have a song associated with them. We all have precious, or not so precious in some cases, songs or lyrics that when played years later evoke strong emotions. I remember the song I heard on the radio driving back to work after finding out I was pregnant with my son (u2's "Beautiful Day" appropriately enough ) 2 days after attending a Kiss concert (what a week that was). Would those moments have the same lon-lasting impression if there wasn't a song linked to them? Remember who you have to thank for it.


turn out the lights.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home