Saturday, July 16, 2005

The Long & Winding Road

Attended the anniversary dinner with my mother. I spent more time watching rain fall, out of the window overlooking the river, than interacting with anyone. I suspect being one of the few people under 50 had somthing to do with it. I did help a grampa set up a playpen for his grandson though, so I wasn't a total social snob.

More work on the wall today, with more scheduled for tomorrow. The progress has hastened at least, & as always we're at the mercy of nature.

My aunt & uncle sent me a photo of their new puppy. Their Boston Terrier died this month (over 10 years old) but they were only brief in their mourning apparently. They bought a female chocolate lab named Purdy Petunia. I think the puppy purchase was expedited since their human baby moved to Montreal. She really is a lovely looking dog though.

I've been reading articles & editorials this past week about Harry Potter & the backlash from Catholics regarding the presence of witchcraft in Rowling's books. I think we should be happy the kids are reading these books & not out doing all the other things we really should be worried about. It's one thing if kids are exposed to specific material at too young an age (i.e. don't let a first grader read Anne Rice's Sleeping Beauty erotica or most Stephen King books) but a story about an orphan boy who conquers over evil by doing good? Come on.

Speaking of books, I'm going to start the Munro short stories tonite. Plath's diaries were interesting--I was intrigued by her methodolgy. I wonder what her life would have been like had she lived today. Many of her entries are about her struggle to find her role--wife, mother, writer etc & how she interacted with her mother, who thought Plath was frittering her life away by writing & was particularly upset when Plath stopped teaching. Her marriage, including her husband's infidelities were also a huge issue.

I think that the late 50's/early 60's were a difficult time for women. Women had worked in factories for the war effort but were forced back into the homes (KITCHENS) & were supposed to be doting wives & mothers (Stepford anyone?). I know that my gramma's generation (born in the early 30's) were taught to stick with their husbands regardless of what the man did (drinking, cheating etc) & focus on the kids. Marriage is much less what it was then in terms of permanency & longevity. I seriosuly doubt that there will be many people my age who will celebrate the long milestone anniversaries the way our grandparents have/did. Most people I know feel that it's just a "piece of paper", which neglects the whole idea of committment. Yes, the paper gives the relationshop legitimacy, but it's so much more than that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home