Thursday, July 05, 2007

Hot enough for ya?

Why is it that whenever the mercury rises to a certain degree, the only conversation people can muster is the dreaded, "Hot enough for ya?". As if my sweaty brow, wrinkled clothing & disheveled hair aren't answer enough. Although, I suppose I've answered my own question, seeing as temperatures hovering around 40 degrees Celsius probably does little for anyone's 'people skills.'

Case in point: I witnessed a cranky customer at the grocery store today & saw that the jerk's behavior unsettled the cashier, to say the least. He really seemed intent on riding her ass throughout the transaction. Anyway, once he had departed, I complimented her on her lovely nails (in all honestly they were awe inspiring--wish I had the time!) & was overly kind to her. It elicited a smile & even a hint of a blush on her cheeks, so it was worth it. I mean really, I had to stand in line with two hungry, damp (it was post-swimming lessons & lunch time to boot) kids who ended up crashing the kiddie cart in the foyer of the store, but you didn't see me flipping out on anyone. Life's too short, you know?

We planted a ridiculous number of seeds in innumerable pots on the (thankfully over-sized) deck, undoubtedly my attempt to detract from the fact that our yard is basically an unfenced sandpit. Anyway, the seeds have triumphed--we have some gorgeous pink & purple morning glories in bloom, roma tomatoes on the way & even some carnations in bud. I miss having roses but perhaps the combination of sweet peas, blue morning glories & our little herb patch will make up for the lack of roses. Well, not really since roses are my favorite (or didn't you know that already??) but there will be flowewr beds next year. I think the new yard is better oriented for flower beds & we'll still have room for a garage & the assorted kid-related entertainments. Sigh--it does mean a lot of work though.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home