30 or bust?
I read a magazine article the other day that discussed the "fact" that by the age of 30, the time of promise comes to an end as a person is essentially what s/he will be. Basically, if you haven't fulfilled whatever expectations someone, somewhere has for you, if you haven't done "it" (paint a masterpiece, wrote a symphony, wrote an award - winning book etc..) by that age, you're not going to.
I think this is a load of crap. Persoanlly, I feel like I'm just coming into my own & I'm not 30 for another year, but my long-term goals surpass my present circumstances. Maybe the writer of the 30 or bust is thinking wistfully back on his/her life and for whatever reason 30 demarcates some line between success & failure for him/her.
I suppose it's an interesting notion for some, but I don't think there's necessarily a time limit on certain things. Okay, biology/DNA dictates aspects like your fertility, athleticism, intellect and the like to a certain extent, which of course is mediated by one's environment, so whether or not you have children may be beyond your control. Some professions have age restrictions, like professional sports say, but in areas like art or music you may not even enjoy your true success, as many artists' work is only truly appreciated posthumously.
I know this is a cheesy thing to write: but time will tell ....

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home